Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Old topics

I'm not too sure about what I said about the NAIC and Guaranty Funds (factually I'm sure but in terms of placing, relevenece I'm not). My limited time limits my contribution but I will ocme back and visit to work on it some more. Note to anyone who would like to tackle a factual information section, the insurance information institute has lots of figures and statistics, etc and could be a useful place to look. I agree that legal principle like moral hazard and adverse selection need desperatley to be tackled.
This article seriously needs input from economists and marketing people. I'll do what I can when I have the time, but it reads like a current affairs piece and doesn't contain any discussion of fundamental features of insurance markets like information assymetry, moral hazard and adverse selection and the associated marketing techniques to avoid them.
Private health insurance is a major matter only for travellers and citizens of the US. It does not deserve this much space in this article. Move it to a more specific article like US health insurance. Most people reading this are not Americans, and don't care. What you say can be said in about one paragraph on that issue.
Private health insurance is available even in (nearly all) countries with public health insurance, and is worth discussing. I do think there could be a whole article on the ethical debate.
There is plenty to talk about insurance in general, e.g . reinsurance markets for an example of how that could be structured, morbidity calculations, actuarial professions, use of insurance for portfolio management (very common as a tax planning instrument), etc.There's a lot more to be said about insurance. Also, the "abuses" section needs to be rewritten for NPOV.
Insurance is a complex and remarkably interesting subject. Someone smarter than I needs to work on this one.I have been doing some work and note the large number of modern insurance companies who evolved from such groups.

No comments:

Post a Comment